As for 2018, I’ll definitely be fully healthy without any stomach pain. I will have sufficient sleep and energy. I’ll be healed, kind of reborn. That’s my first and most important goal.
I will be able to pursue my passions, for now I’m seeing myself photographing and connecting with likeminded people.
I will visit my friends all around the world.
I will confront my fears.
I will do unexpected things.
I will spread love like it’s glitter.
I will follow my heart.
I will be me.
And you will be whatever you want to be.
These are the exact words I’ve written last year.
I’ll be honest. I already checked if I had reached my goals early in December and had a moment full of tears and thankfulness, because not only did I manage to fulfill these goals.
I SMASHED them!
Ok, maybe except the fully healthy part, but the year isn’t done yet and every day can make a difference!
But for everything else, I did it. I did more than that and I’m happy to see and feel, mindset is EVERYTHING.
I can’t wait for 2019. I can’t wait to become the person I’m already shaped throughout time in this universe, because time is just a construct.
Everything we will be, we already are. Our past is our present once we give thoughts to it.
Everything flows, everything happens simultaneously.
And if I know something. The concepts ‘law of attraction’ and ‘everything happens for a reason’ work. They work together seamlessly.
I don’t want to talk around the topics too much. But this was my intro. Let’s take a look at the different categories, so you understand what I’m writing about.
As you know, I am on the verge of becoming a professional photographer. I spent the first months of 2018 really feeling into this idea, feeling if it’s the right direction. And for now, I can still see this idea happening.
I had my portfolio shoots in March, April, May, July, August and December. Some pictures I managed to take without having officially set my mind to do them. That’s what I mean by building my portfolio.
But the skill of photography was still one I wanted to grow. So, besides just shooting, I read a shitload of books, watched numerous ‘follow me on my shoots’, attending photo events and of course shooting myself. Also, I have been saying I wanted to learn photoshop, so yes, I did this in December and now can proudly say, I understand it, I can use it (not seamlessly). But still, I learned to retouch and that was my main agenda.
I currently still need to edit 6 pictures until Saturday, then I’m done with this year’s content.
Ah, yes. By now you should be aware of the fact that I play the guitar and sing. So this was also something I kept in doing in fairly regular phases, sometimes more and sometimes less.
I also spent time finding new artists to fall in love with. Current favs include SG Lewis, RÜFÜS DU SOL & Shoffy. Just check them out.
I can only pinch myself when I think about the awesomeness of my friends.
Besides the multiple hour phone calls with Mili, I’m still more the kind of person that just makes time to see her friends in person.
So, a few highlights which I appreciate so much and have almost forgot have occurred this year:
- Going to a Lana del Rey concert in Antwerp with my bestie and her friend totally spontaneously.
- Going to London to visit Caro and see Vance Joy.
- Playing the guitar and singing at the Rhine with a guitar I stole (well, he actually gave it to me :D) from a musician as per request by my bestie.
- Meeting Nika through IG, thinking friendships can start online.
- Having an unplanned, out of the blue reunion of my college gang in a) Berlin with Mili, Helmi, Feza, her colleagues and I 😀 and a planned one b) for Karina’s birthday with Hatze, Cori, Lulu, Helmi, Daniel and Mili.
- All the travels to/with my friends (more later).
What can I say?
Even though we don’t need to stay in contact all the time, it’s like we have never been apart.
The relationships I have with my friends are build on trust, reliability, fun, adventure and communication (in person :D).
I’m proud to say we can count on having an open ear to listen to each other’s greatest successes, biggest fears or most depressing worries.
We’re each others biggest cheerleaders. Non-judgmental, but still honest.
In a lot of ways I feel my friends are more like family. Yes, choose your friends wisely and treat them well.
CONFRONT FEARS AND DO UNEXPECTED THINGS
Hahaha, that’s a good one. If there’s one new year’s resolution you should definitely put on your list it is this one!
On the top of my head, I have confronted the following fears and gone totally outside my comfort zone:
- meeting strangers from IG and FB in real life for dinner, just to chill or for shootings (and it worked out so well that I can count some as friends now)
- singing and playing guitar at the Rhine
- shooting a video for the ‘Best Job Ever’ campaign for About You
- doing Couchsurfing for the first time
- shooting my first wedding
- doing the Ayahuasca retreat
- traveling while still being sick
- drinking alcohol (just once) while still being sick
- eating fear foods while still being sick
- letting my guard down a bit when it comes to love or well letting people really in
- not listening to the doctor’s advices, but to my gut
There are a lot of other worries I have overcome, I’m not immune to fear. I just choose to still leap into it and try to find comfort in the uncomfortable.
I swear you’ll be rewarded with new experiences and pride or well, a lesson on what isn’t working out for you.
And that is definitely better than any ‘What if?’.
See these opportunities as challenges rather the problems. Nothing ever really is a problem, but an opportunity to grow into a better self.